Monday, February 14, 2011

Labor Day

I know that the Major League baseball season is a long one, but I want to make a case against the belief that some have that you should not pay attention to it until Labor day.

I subscribe to the this theory:

To get to Labor Day, You must, first, win in April and May.

Let’s take a look at the Houston Astros.

Do not get me wrong, I am not expecting much from them this year. When they have been good, over the last ten or so years, they have always have had to hustle to make the playoffs because they have started off slow. I understand that there are reasons for this, the chief among these are that the scheduling “gods” have not been very nice to them, but this should not be an excuse.

This year, for example, in April and May, they have a combined fifty-two games. There are twenty-six games in each month with only six days off combined. To break even , the must win 13 games in each month.

I would like for them to do more than break even. I would like for them to have one month with a winning percentages that approaches sixty percent. In doing this, it would take the pressure of being a late charging team off of them.

Just a thought.

No comments: